Working In Partnership Copeland

I'm looking for...

 

Who is on Copeland GDF Working Group

Mark Cullinan, Independent Chair, Copeland Working Group

Mark Cullinan

Chair

Copeland Working Group

Mark is the independent Chair of the Copeland Working Group. A former Chief Executive of Lancaster City Council, Mark is an experienced Chair, Executive and Non-Executive Director, and brings over thirty years of experience in public service leadership to his role as Chair. His background is particularly in environmental, economic and social issues. He is currently Chair of Impact Housing Cumbria and the Riverside Charitable Trust, and Deputy Chair of the Blackpool Teaching Hospitals Trust and of St John’s Hospice (North Lancashire and South Cumbria). He previously served as Chair of the Lancashire Children and Young People’s Trust.

Nick Gardham

Independent Facilitator

Copeland Working Group

Nick is the Independent Facilitator for the Working Group. His role includes helping to ensure that discussions are constructive and that the community’s opportunities and aspirations, as well as their questions and issues, are considered by the Working Group.

Nick works for an organisation called Community Organisers Limited which is a national charity working around the UK on many projects, helping people develop their collective power to act together for the common good of the whole community. Their work is about giving people the tools to listen to their community. Nick’s role includes asking the right questions and ensuring the group takes on board the views of interested parties and local people.

Councillor David Moore

Copeland Borough Council

Copeland Borough Council is an ‘interested party’ and councillor David Moore, Portfolio Holder for Nuclear Services, is a member of the Working Group.

David said: “Copeland Council’s participation in the Working Group means that the council, on behalf of our whole community, will play a key role in the process to establish whether there is a suitable location and willing host community for a GDF in Copeland.

“Regardless of a final location for a GDF, the Copeland community is affected fundamentally as the vast majority of materials that would go for disposal are located here, and the Sellafield site will be at the front end of the operational phase for decades to come.”

Irton Hall Ltd

Irton Hall Ltd is an ‘interested party’ and offers a luxurious holiday destination in mid-Copeland. The company has particular interest in understanding the potential for inshore development, extending below the seabed, accessed from the coastal strip near the area of the existing LLWR licensed site.

Steve Cottrell, owner of Irton Hall Ltd said: “The construction and operation of a GDF, wherever the eventual location is in the country, will have a massive economic impact for many decades. A long-term nuclear industry presence is vital for the West Cumbria business community. That, and the broader economic benefits it could bring, are why we think the prospect of a GDF in West Cumbria has to be explored.”

Genr8 North Ltd

Genr8 North Ltd is an ‘interested party’ who specialise in land development and regeneration, and as a Cumbrian based company, would like the GDF programme to be given proper consideration in West Cumbria as part of future infrastructure development.

Mark Walker

Director

GenR8 North Ltd

Also from GenR8 North Ltd, Mark Walker said: “Most of the waste that will go into a GDF is already here, at Sellafield. We got involved because want to see how this could secure the long-term economic regeneration of West Cumbria, and we shouldn’t underestimate the potential of a project like this.”

David Faulkner

Resident in south Copeland and former Sellafield manager

David Faulkner is an ‘interested party’ and had initial interest in understanding the potential for existing developed land in the south of Copeland to be re-purposed in future as an access point for an underground facility that would avoid visual impact. He’s also interested in consideration of the potential for inshore development, extending below the seabed, with attendant benefits for local communities from local infrastructure development and employment.

David said: “Working at Sellafield, I had an interest in the long-term future of solutions to the problem of higher activity radioactive waste. There are areas in the south of Copeland that are outside the National Park so there’s potential for regeneration and the inward investment and jobs that could bring.”

Chris Shaw

Parish Liaison Officer

Cumbria Association of Local Councils (CALC)

CALC is a not-for-profit membership organisation representing, training and advising parish and town councils across Cumbria who form the grassroots tier of local government in England. Their role on the Working Group is to be a voice for the parishes in Copeland. Chris is Parish Liaison Officer for CALC.

Andy Pratt

Copeland District Association Chair

Cumbria Association of Local Councils (CALC)

Also representing CALC, Andy is the Copeland District Association Chair.

Gillian Johnston

Community Engagement Manager

Radioactive Waste Management

Gillian Johnston is the Working Group’s Community Engagement Manager and lives locally. She has worked for Hospice at Home West Cumbria, helped to bring the successful Energy Coast UTC to West Cumbria and was community engagement advisor and social impact lead for Morgan Sindall Infrastructure. Gillian is passionate about the local area and ensuring everyone has their say as part of this process.

She said: “I value my Copeland roots, living here has shaped me into the person I am today. Hosting a GDF is a big commitment which needs clear two-way dialogue and accessible information for people. My role involves starting discussions in communities about what this facility could be like and whether it’s something people might want to know more about - without any commitment.”

Claire Dobson

Community Coordinator

Radioactive Waste Management

Claire Dobson is the Working Group’s Community Co-ordinator. She lives locally and previously spent 13 years as a community development officer for Age UK West Cumbria, based in Whitehaven and The De Lucy Centre, Egremont. Claire was project lead in the highly-successful switchover from analogue to digital television which was piloted in Whitehaven. She developed the training and implementation plan, which was later adopted nationally for all future switchovers.

Claire said: “We’ll be working in partnership with the community to address the things that matter to local people. The community is at the heart of the approach and we’ll be available to support, provide information and answer questions.”

Barnaby Hudson

Siting Manager

Radioactive Waste Management

Barnaby Hudson is a Siting Manager with RWM. Barnaby has a mining industry background and an Environmental Chartership. He will support the Working Group with understanding the GDF siting process and related technical matters. One of the early tasks of the Working Group is to identify a Search Area or Areas for further consideration by a Community Partnership. Barnaby will help the Working Group in identifying a Search Area(s), by bringing together readily available information, alongside the views being gathered through initial local engagement.

Gill Thorne

Working Group Communications Lead

Radioactive Waste Management

Gill Thorne is the Working Group’s Communications Lead and lives locally. She has worked in the local communications and media industry for over 20 years including as Head of Content for The Whitehaven News and the Times and Star. She has also worked for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority and at Sellafield.
Passionate about clear communication, Copeland and its people, Gill said: “I’ve been a part of the Copeland community all of my life and I’m looking forward to hearing from people and helping the Working Group to engage, listen and provide easily accessible information in order to have conversations about what a GDF could mean for Copeland.”

Mark Cullinan, Independent Chair, Copeland Working Group

Mark Cullinan

Chair

Location Working Group

Mark is the independent Chair of the Copeland Working Group. A former Chief Executive of Lancaster City Council, Mark is an experienced Chair, Executive and Non-Executive Director, and brings over thirty years of experience in public service leadership to his role as Chair. His background is particularly in environmental, economic and social issues. He is currently Chair of Impact Housing Cumbria and the Riverside Charitable Trust, and Deputy Chair of the Blackpool Teaching Hospitals Trust and of St John’s Hospice (North Lancashire and South Cumbria). He previously served as Chair of the Lancashire Children and Young People’s Trust.

Nick Gardham

Independent Facilitator

Location Working Group

Nick is the Independent Facilitator for the Working Group. His role includes helping to ensure that discussions are constructive and that the community’s opportunities and aspirations, as well as their questions and issues, are considered by the Working Group.

Nick works for an organisation called Community Organisers Limited which is a national charity working around the UK on many projects, helping people develop their collective power to act together for the common good of the whole community. Their work is about giving people the tools to listen to their community. Nick’s role includes asking the right questions and ensuring the group takes on board the views of interested parties and local people.

Councillor David Moore

Location Working Group

Copeland Borough Council is an ‘interested party’ and councillor David Moore, Portfolio Holder for Nuclear Services, is a member of the Working Group.

David said: “Copeland Council’s participation in the Working Group means that the council, on behalf of our whole community, will play a key role in the process to establish whether there is a suitable location and willing host community for a GDF in Copeland.

“Regardless of a final location for a GDF, the Copeland community is affected fundamentally as the vast majority of materials that would go for disposal are located here, and the Sellafield site will be at the front end of the operational phase for decades to come.”

Irton Hall Ltd

Location Working Group

Irton Hall Ltd is an ‘interested party’ and offers a luxurious holiday destination in mid-Copeland. The company has particular interest in understanding the potential for inshore development, extending below the seabed, accessed from the coastal strip near the area of the existing LLWR licensed site.

Steve Cottrell, owner of Irton Hall Ltd said: “The construction and operation of a GDF, wherever the eventual location is in the country, will have a massive economic impact for many decades. A long-term nuclear industry presence is vital for the West Cumbria business community. That, and the broader economic benefits it could bring, are why we think the prospect of a GDF in West Cumbria has to be explored.”

Genr8 North Ltd

Location Working Group

Genr8 North Ltd is an ‘interested party’ who specialise in land development and regeneration, and as a Cumbrian based company, would like the GDF programme to be given proper consideration in West Cumbria as part of future infrastructure development.

Mark Walker

Director

Location Working Group

Also from GenR8 North Ltd, Mark Walker said: “Most of the waste that will go into a GDF is already here, at Sellafield. We got involved because want to see how this could secure the long-term economic regeneration of West Cumbria, and we shouldn’t underestimate the potential of a project like this.”

David Faulkner

Location Working Group

David Faulkner is an ‘interested party’ and had initial interest in understanding the potential for existing developed land in the south of Copeland to be re-purposed in future as an access point for an underground facility that would avoid visual impact. He’s also interested in consideration of the potential for inshore development, extending below the seabed, with attendant benefits for local communities from local infrastructure development and employment.

David said: “Working at Sellafield, I had an interest in the long-term future of solutions to the problem of higher activity radioactive waste. There are areas in the south of Copeland that are outside the National Park so there’s potential for regeneration and the inward investment and jobs that could bring.”

Chris Shaw

Parish Liaison Officer

Location Working Group

CALC is a not-for-profit membership organisation representing, training and advising parish and town councils across Cumbria who form the grassroots tier of local government in England. Their role on the Working Group is to be a voice for the parishes in Copeland. Chris is Parish Liaison Officer for CALC.

Andy Pratt

Copeland District Association Chair

Location Working Group

Also representing CALC, Andy is the Copeland District Association Chair.

Gillian Johnston

Community Engagement Manager

Location Working Group

Gillian Johnston is the Working Group’s Community Engagement Manager and lives locally. She has worked for Hospice at Home West Cumbria, helped to bring the successful Energy Coast UTC to West Cumbria and was community engagement advisor and social impact lead for Morgan Sindall Infrastructure. Gillian is passionate about the local area and ensuring everyone has their say as part of this process.

She said: “I value my Copeland roots, living here has shaped me into the person I am today. Hosting a GDF is a big commitment which needs clear two-way dialogue and accessible information for people. My role involves starting discussions in communities about what this facility could be like and whether it’s something people might want to know more about - without any commitment.”

Claire Dobson

Community Coordinator

Location Working Group

Claire Dobson is the Working Group’s Community Co-ordinator. She lives locally and previously spent 13 years as a community development officer for Age UK West Cumbria, based in Whitehaven and The De Lucy Centre, Egremont. Claire was project lead in the highly-successful switchover from analogue to digital television which was piloted in Whitehaven. She developed the training and implementation plan, which was later adopted nationally for all future switchovers.

Claire said: “We’ll be working in partnership with the community to address the things that matter to local people. The community is at the heart of the approach and we’ll be available to support, provide information and answer questions.”

Barnaby Hudson

Siting Manager

Location Working Group

Barnaby Hudson is a Siting Manager with RWM. Barnaby has a mining industry background and an Environmental Chartership. He will support the Working Group with understanding the GDF siting process and related technical matters. One of the early tasks of the Working Group is to identify a Search Area or Areas for further consideration by a Community Partnership. Barnaby will help the Working Group in identifying a Search Area(s), by bringing together readily available information, alongside the views being gathered through initial local engagement.

Gill Thorne

Working Group Communications Lead

Location Working Group

Gill Thorne is the Working Group’s Communications Lead and lives locally. She has worked in the local communications and media industry for over 20 years including as Head of Content for The Whitehaven News and the Times and Star. She has also worked for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority and at Sellafield.
Passionate about clear communication, Copeland and its people, Gill said: “I’ve been a part of the Copeland community all of my life and I’m looking forward to hearing from people and helping the Working Group to engage, listen and provide easily accessible information in order to have conversations about what a GDF could mean for Copeland.”

test

Contact Us

[contact-form-7 id=”124″ title=”pop up contact form”]

* denotes mandatory field